Leonard W. Bone

Loughton School Master between 1906 – 1949

Leonard Bone was born on 27th February 1880, one of a fairly large family, several of whom died young. He was educated at the Presbyterian School, Norwich and at the age of 16 was apprenticed to a Mr. Wright to take up Art.

After two previous jobs of fairly short duration, he became a teacher under Mr. Vincent in 1901.

L.W. Bone

During his time at Loughton School Mr. Bone was for a time a visiting master at Loughton County High School for Girls and also Oaklea School, Buckhurst Hill.

In August 1908 he married Edith Mary Batterbee who eventually bore him two sons, Leonard and Bernard. As most O.L.s will know, they were both educated at Loughton School — with considerable success. Both were keen sportsmen, both became prefects and both became sergeant-major (W.O.II) of the School Cadet Corps. Bernard was awarded a D.F.C. in World War Il.

In the first World War he was a L/sgt. in the Volunteer Force 5th Btn. Essex Regt. from 1916 to 1919. He was commissioned Lieutenant in the Cadet Force in April 1918, he was later promoted through the rank of Captain to Major.

Whilst at Loughton School he taught Mathematics (all subjects) and Chemistry and at some time in his career he also taught French, Latin and English.

In his younger days he played tennis, hockey, soccer and cricket, later becoming a hockey umpire. He officiated at many sports meetings as starter and/or time-keeper and these duties even carried him into the realm of speedway racing after it started at High Beach in 1928.

Mr. Bone was not a big man in stature but to a boy he seemed big in every other way. He was a great disciplinarian but the odd thing was that he did this purely by his personality and force of character. There is no doubt that he issued fewer impositions or punishments of any kind than any other master. He had a nice sense of humour and could find a quip or saying to fit every occasion.

He was keen on local dramatics and he was always a star turn at the school concerts. He was eventually forced by deafness to give up teaching in 1949 but quickly strove to overcome his disability by learning to lip-read.

He died in the London Hospital on 23rd September 1952.

He is remembered with both respect and affection by every Old Boy who knew him.

Extracted from Guy Dixon’s 100 Years of Loughton School

Similar Posts